For Immigration or Citizenship

For Citizenship

Unfortunately, our tests are not accepted for Citizenship purposes. For more information regarding the accepted language tests for the Canadian Citizenship application, please visit: You can also find more information here:

If you have already taken one of the approved tests and would like to compare it to the CLB scale, please click here:

For any other information regarding Citizenship, please contact IRCC directly or your Settlement Officer.

To better understand the level 4 of the CLB’s, please read the CLB Level 4 Listening and Speaking documents:

For Immigration

Unfortunately, our tests are not accepted for immigration to Canada. For more information regarding the accepted language tests for Canadian immigration, please visit:

If you have already taken one of the approved tests and would like to compare it to the CLB scale, please click here:

For any other information regarding Canadian immigration, please contact IRCC directly.

How the CLB’s can be useful

You may be thinking of coming to Canada, or you may have already immigrated. If so, you may be wondering how Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) can help you as you settle into new routines and choose your future pathways.

Canadian Language Benchmarks can be a very useful tool as you settle, train, and work in Canada. The Canadian Language Benchmarks are used across Canada and can be used to:

  • help new immigrants, many adult ESL programs in Canada use the Canadian Language Benchmarks which help students and teachers understand what students need to do with English for daily life in Canada
  • understand skill levels for training and education
Provincial Information

Most provinces in Canada have a website to help newcomers settle into their new lives. There will be information about the province, the economy, employment opportunities, and learning English. To find out about a province that you may move to, or are settled in, click on the province.

For more information on provinces go to Government of Canada- Provinces and Territories

For information about settling in Canada in general click on the links bellow:

Training and Education in Canada

There are many levels of education and training in Canada. If you are coming to Canada to go to school, there is research that you need to do first. If you are settled in a province, there are opportunities that you will want to research. If you are currently working in Canada, you may be offered training through your company!

In order to register for university and college courses, you will need to have your language assessed. Each school has different requirements.

If you have degrees, diplomas and certificates from other countries, you will need to have them translated and compared to Canadian standards. Each university has different requirements for the way to do this.

A useful starting point to get information about the Foreign Credential Recognition process is the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials website. This site has information and links to information about:

  • Foreign Credential Recognition
  • Studying and working in Canada
  • Education in Canada

To explore Canadian universities and requirements click Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. This site represents 89 public and private universities. You can find information or links:

  • Information and links to universities
  • Scholarships
  • News

To explore Canadian colleges, click on Association of Canadian Community Colleges.

Working in Canada

Are you planning to move to Canada to work? Are you here and looking for work? You will need to do your homework.

To learn more about the legal requirements for working in Canada go to

This site will give you lots of information about working in Canada.

The Government of Canada’s website has organized work in a variety of ways.  The information in this section  will help you:

  • find information about occupations you are interested in learning more about
  • find information about employment outlooks for different occupations
  • learn how jobs are classified in Canada
  • begin your job search
  • learn something about certification
Occupations and Canadian Language Benchmarks

How are the Benchmarks related to work? Many occupations have been assigned CLB levels. For example, work has been done that is quite useful to newcomers. Aircraft Maintenance Engineers should demonstrate language proficiency at the following levels in order to be successful in employment:


Listening Speaking Reading Writing
8 8 9 7
What does that look like? 

An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer may have to speak for her team in a department meeting. She will have to respond appropriately in an e-mail or note concerning a complaint or issue concerning work. She will have to listen carefully during her performance review to understand what type of feedback she is receiving. She will have to read with understanding and critical thought a variety of documents including: charts, graphs, blueprints etc.

Canada has 3 National Standards for work and job skills, and communication requirements.

1. Canadian Language Benchmarks: These are the Benchmarks you have been learning about at this site. These standards or benchmarks link language competencies to tasks we do at work. If you need a quick review click on Language Levels.

2. Essential Skills: These are the skills we use for work, learning and life. They provide the foundation for learning all other skills and make it possible for people to grow in their jobs and adapt to workplace change.

You can use a the on-line learning tool at this site to learn more about your work skills:

There are nine essential skills including:

Over 200 occupations have been profiled. At the Essential Skills site, you can search for a job title or category and you will find the job requirements related to each of the 9 essential skills. More profiles of other occupations are being developed and will be available in the coming months. You can see how a job profile aligns with a CLB level by looking at the Comparative Framework at the following chart: (insert chart from comparative framework or hyperlink to chart)

3. National Occupation Classification: These are also referred to as NOCs (said like KNOCKS). Again you can search the site  for occupation specific information. There is a free tutorial you can take on-line that will help you access the information effectively.

The job specific information includes:

  • sample title *
  • main duties or responsibilities
  • employment requirements
  • additional Information

*For example, there are 97 related job titles to the category sewing machine operator. When you are looking for work it is good to know the different names a job may be called.

Occupational Language Analyses

The Centre for Canadian Benchmarks is currently developing Occupational Language Analyses (OLAs). These OLA’s describe job tasks using the CLB and Essential Skills. To see an OLA, visit

The CCLB and the Canadian Tourism Human Resources Council worked together to develop Occupational Language Analysis (OLAs). Tourism has their own industry standards as do many other industries and sectors. If you are interested in a position in Tourism and Hospitality, read one of the OLAs. It will help you understand the language needed to perform the job tasks.

Finding Work in Canada

If you are planning to work in Canada, or if you have already arrived, there is a huge amount of information on-line to help you make decisions.

Labour Market Information (LMI): This government site allows you to search for labour market information on a national, a provincial and a local level. You can find

  • job descriptions
  • job and skills requirements
  • information about wages and salaries
  • employments prospects

Job Postings: There are local and national sites where you can read postings and also post your résumé. You can also check the on-line version of a local newspaper for job ads. Every province has Employment Centres specifically to help newcomers find work.

There is A Guide to Work and Relocation in Canada at  If you click on Related Links you will see a list of provinces. Choose the one that interests you. Then look for employment on the page that pops up. Good Luck with your job search!

To see working Canadians in action go to TV Ontario.

The short videos may help you decide your personal path to employment. Not every one of the 500 plus occupations described has a video. The information is still valuable because it contains the following:

  • description
  • specific duties
  • related careers
  • career path
  • employers
  • common job titles

Some jobs in Canada require that you have a special license before you can begin work. These are called regulated occupations. To find out more about them and about certifications see Credentials below.


Regulated Professions and Certification

Many occupations in Canada are regulated. Some jobs in Canada require that you have a special license before you can begin work. These are called regulated occupations. Most regulated occupations require that you have specialized education and experience before receiving your license. Physicians and electricians are examples of workers who need to be licensed in order to do their job.

Go to and go to:

  • About Regulated Occupations
  • Search Regulated Occupations
  • View All regulated Professions

An excellent site for exploring Occupations and Certification is , the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials. The site is worth a visit especially for internationally trained professionals. The site has information on:

  • Occupational profiles for selected trades and professions
    Detailed information about procedures to follow and Contacts to make in preparation for practicing specific trades and professions in Canada
  • Recognition of Professional Qualifications
    Fact sheet with answers to the most frequently asked questions about the recognition of qualifications for the purpose of employment in Canada ·
  • Foreign Credential Recognition
    What you need to know about the assessment and recognition of foreign credentials, and which services to contact
  • Immigrating to Canada
    Links to the reference sites on immigration to Canada and To the sites designed by the provinces for potential immigrants. For more information, visit

The Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks hopes that you have found this site useful.  We wish you well.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I present my CLBPT assessment report for my Citizenship application?

The CLBPT assessment report is not an approved language proof for your application, it is a low-stakes placement test only designed to place you in the appropriate language class.


How can I compare my IELTS results to the CLB’s?

CCLB has never conducted a correlation study between the two tests. However, you can find more information on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.


What type of language proof is required for my application?

All applicants 18-54 years of age MUST submit proof that demonstrates adequate knowledge of English or French (even if your first language is English or French). You can choose one of the following types of language proof to submit with your application:

  • Results from a third-party language test;
  • You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad;
  • You took a government-funded language training program and have achieved Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills.

*Note: The above are excerpts from IRCC’s website (Section 15). Make sure to visit this page for complete details related to each option.