Start date: June 7, 2021
End Date: March 31, 2023
Funded by: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Since 2011, IRCC has entered into contribution agreements with CCLB to design, validate, pilot and administer an English high-stakes test (“Milestones”) and a French high-stakes test (“Batterie de tests de rendement des niveaux de compétence linguistique candiens” – BTR-NCLC). CCLB will:
- License up to 4 designated assessment centres across the country to use Milestones/BTR-NCLC (3 EN, 1 FR) and train staff at those centres on the administrative and assessor roles required to deliver the test;
- Use the 4 designated assessment centres to administer small pilots of potential users from community college, employment language training programs and regulation or certification bodies requiring CLB 4 to 8. These pilots will provide data on usability, interest, applicability, and feasibility for the test in these contexts;
- Advance research to determine acceptance of Milestones/BTR-NCLC assessments as a LINC/CLIC exit credential for workplace purposes and community college environments. This research will be enriched by small pilots which will provide additional data;
- Provide further research on limitations for using Milestones/BTR-NCLC in contexts other than program evaluation;
- Support the development of an action plan for future use;
- Investigate the financial implications for Milestones/BTR-NCLC such as test administration costs, test fees, agreements with assessment centres.
- Updated online assessor training.
- Licensed IRCC-funded assessment sites on Milestones and/or BTR-NCLC (3 English; 1 French) for the purpose of this project.
- Information package on Milestones and BTR-NCLC.
- Small Milestones/BTR-NCLC pilots conducted (3 English; 1 French)
- 4 focus groups and 10 informant interviews conducted to help inform research
- Final research findings presented in the form of a business case