Start Date: April 1, 2020
End date: March 31, 2025
Funded by: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
The Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CCLB) provides professional development, resources, training tools and activities to increase expertise and reliability, clarify processes and support the use of PBLA in a diverse range of LINC/CLB classrooms.
CCLB partners with the developers of the National Curriculum Guidelines (NCG), Learning Management System (LMS), Tutela and collaborates with service providers nationally to support PBLA integration.
Project activities ensure teachers have excellent classroom ready resources and professional development to help them deliver CLB task-based programming and assessment effectively.
The project includes the development of 50 classroom modules over five years, introduction to PBLA for classroom teachers’ courses to address high turnover, professional learning sessions and provision of a strong CLB/PBLA presence at conferences to support high-quality settlement programming.
Overall, the project seeks to build PBLA capacity across all stakeholders involved in delivering IRCC-funded programming including computer-based, blended, remote and specialized programming including LINC home study.
Professional development training and community events
- Introduction to PBLA for Classroom Teachers online course (300 participants annually)
- Certification of PBLA Lead Teachers through a PLAR process (8 to 10 per year)
- Ready-made professional learning sessions (2-3 annually)
Classroom module material development
- Multi-level module packages (10 per year)
- Modules available through Tutela.ca, Avenue.ca and pblapg.language.ca.
- Conference Workshop sessions (5 annually)
Quality assurance and calibration support
- PBLA Lead Teacher forum
- PBLA Practice Guidelines available at pblapg.language.ca
- Research and support for best practices (3 reports/surveys over five years)