How well do you use English?
Remember that the CLB looks at tasks we do and the language we use when we do them.
|Who do you speak to every day?
- friends and family
- government people
- your teacher
- the bus driver
- the people in the grocery store
|What do you read everyday?
- the newspaper
- television guide
- work manuals
- street signs
- bus schedules
Assess your English online for FREE! Test your general language skills based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks
|What listening do you do everyday?
- the radio
- television programs
- a teacher or trainer
- on the telephone
- people at work
|What do you write every day?
- letters to friends
- memos or reports at work
- notes to teachers
- lists for yourself of things to do or buy
- charts and graphs to organize or communicate information
To see for yourself what your level might be, choose one of the levels below and click on it. You will see a checklist of the four skills listed with examples of the tasks that might be done at each level.
A suggestion for completing your self-assessment:
- Decide what you think your level is and complete the checklist
- If you have only a few checkmarks, go back one level or continue to go back until you can almost complete the checklist
- If you have almost everything checked off, go to the next level up and complete that list, continue to go up until you have a checklist that is missing some information
Estimate what you think your level: Can Do Statements