Incorporated in 1998 as a national not-for-profit organization and governed by a nationally representative, multi-stakeholder board of directors, the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks supports and promotes the Canadian Language Benchmarks and Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens.
The Canadian Language Benchmarks and the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens are the national standards recognized in Canada and internationally for describing,measuring and recognizing English and French language proficiency of persons in Canada, as well as of immigrants and other persons destined for Canada.
The Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks/Centre des niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens leads and provides expertise in the implementation and dissemination of the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens as practical, fair and reliable national standards of English and French language proficiency in immigration, education and training, workplace and community settings.
- Develop and share quality resources associated with the CLB/NCLC
- Enhance CLB/NCLC assessment processes and tools, including tests
- Develop new resources to support language teaching/learning
- Apply the CLB/NCLC to support successful labour market integration
- Refine the Centre’s capabilities and further its leadership role